Omegle is a free online chat service that lets you talk to people without giving your name. It works by pairing two people: “You” and “Stranger” or “Stranger 1” and “Stranger 2” for Spy mode. In 2009, a year after the website went live, it got a feature for video conferencing.
If you want to use the video chat feature well, you’ll need to turn on the camera on your device. This guide will show you how to turn the camera on Omegle and let it back in if you’ve blocked it.
How to Allow Omegle to Use Your Laptop’s Camera?
It would help if you had a working camera and microphone to use the video chat feature on Omegle. The process is usually easy, and both features can turn on with just one click.
Here’s how to use the camera and mic on your laptop with Omegle:
- Open your laptop’s default browser and go to Omegle’s website.
- Click the Video button to start a video chat.
- Before you can start a chat, a pop-up will appear next to the address bar. On it will be the following message:
- www.omegle.com would like to:
- Make use of your mic.
- Use your camera
- To turn on both features, click Allow. Video chats on Omegle will now use your laptop’s camera and microphone.
Aside from that, you’ll have to allow the laptop’s camera to use manually. We’ll show you how to fix things so that Omegle can use your camera. Please read them all and choose the one that fits you best.
Fix #1: Restart your Laptop
Most laptop bugs can be fixed by restarting the computer. This will reset all the apps on your device, which might fix the problem with Omegle’s access to your camera. It will also ask your browser to let it use the camera on your laptop, which gives it access.
After restarting your laptop, go back to your browser and open Omegle again to see if you can now give access to the camera and microphone.
Fix #2: Clear Browsing Data on your Browser
Another way to fix the problem with your Omegle camera is to clear your default browser’s browsing history. Even though cookies and cache help you get to some sites faster, you’ll need to get rid of them if they’re causing problems on other sites, like Omegle.
To clear Google Chrome’s history, do the following:
- Open Google Chrome on your computer and click the menu with three vertical dots next to the thumbnail of your Google account in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click “Settings,” then “Security and Privacy.”
- Click Remove all history of browsing. There will be a window that pops up.
- Go to the “Advanced” tab and uncheck the “Cookies and other site data” and “Cached images and files” boxes.
- Choose All for the range of times. After that, click Clear Data.
- Wait until the process is done, and then start Google Chrome again.
- Check Omegle’s video chat to see if you can turn your camera on.
Fix #3: Use Another Browser on your Laptop
If you have more than one browser installed, use one of those instead of your default browser to utilise the video chat feature on Omegle. Mozilla Firefox and Opera are great alternatives for Windows and Mac users.
Try going to Omegle’s main website and clicking “Video.” Then, check your laptop to see if it wants to use your camera and microphone.
Fix #4: Update Browser to the Latest Version
Most bugs, like the one with the Omegle camera, can fix by updating the browser on your laptop. This is quick and easy to do. Most newer computers have the latest browsers and can handle most updates.
To keep Google Chrome on your computer up-to-date, do the following:
- Open Google Chrome and click on the menu with three vertical dots that says “More Options” in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click Help, then About Google Chrome.
- The browser will now search for new versions. When an update is ready, you can click on it to instal it.
- Chrome will restart for a short time when it’s done.
- Check to see if you can now use Omegle with a camera.
Fix #5: Manually Allow Camera Access on Browser
When you go to Omegle, you can try manually granting access if your browser doesn’t show the “Allow Access” pop-up. This makes it so that the camera is always available when you go to Omegle.
To let Google Chrome use your camera, follow these steps:
- Click the lock icon next to the address bar and choose Site settings.
- You’ll now take to a new window that shows all of Omegle’s permissions.
- Let the photographer in. If you want to, you can also let people use the microphone.
- Again, open Chrome and go to Omegle. Check to see if the camera and the microphone are now working.
Omegle is a free online chat service that lets you talk to people anonymously in one-on-one chat rooms. You can also use their video chat feature, which will need access to the camera and microphone on your device. This should help you turn on your laptop’s camera to use it on Omegle.